Monday, August 30, 2010

Top of Utah 1/2 Marathon

So Pre- Marathon was a blast!! I got to train with my good friends Nicole Morris and Julie Funk. It was so fun getting together to run in the mornings all the time. I think my friendships with them grew even more! I love those girls! My knee the previously year had really bothered me. In training I had only got to mile 8, but this year with some new shoes and better stretching, it wasn't so bad. Training went pretty good but deep down I was feeling a little unprepared.

The day before the marathon 6 girls crammed into the SUV and we had a pretty sweet girls night out, as we traveled down to Logan. We went out to eat and hardly slept with all the pre- marathon gitters. The morning of, I met my niece Tristin who came to run it also. I was so excited to have her here. I knew I would probably only run the first couple miles with her and then she would leave me in her dust.


Wow.... what can I say but that this 1/2 marathon was nothing like the last. I was doing so awesome ( well for me anyways)! I was keeping a pace of an 8 1/2 minute mile until I reached mile 10 and then something bad happened. My body started shutting down. I didn't feel tired at all, I just felt really dizzy. Everything was spinning. I ran mile 10 and by the time I got to mile 11 I could no longer run. I could hardly walk straight. Everything was turning black like I was going to pass out, but I just kept walking. It took me forever to finish mile 11 when Jessica, the marathon queen, came running back. She had been meeting up with all of us friends to run us in the last couple miles. All I can say is if it wasn't for her I probably wouldn't have been able to finish the race. I finished in the same exact time as my very first 1/2 marathon. But was disappointed I never beat my first time.


Come to find out I had been really dehydrated. The EMT's had to put a couple bags of fluid in me and then I was totally fine...except for that 800 mg of IB provin that I took on an empty stomach. That made me puke the rest of the day.




Well....needless to say this won't be my last race!! Regardless of everything.... I'm addicted, and I'm going to kick butt next time (at least in the little world of Teresa)!

0 comments: