Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Love'n Tuesdays and Thursdays!

Kobe is in love with a new sport. BMX racing. I should have known how much he would love to do this considering his history. About 6 weeks ago we took him out to the track to practise and see if he would like it before signing him up. And what do you know, he is totally HOOKED! Part of me can't believe it after his nasty crash and part of me totally can- that's just Kobe! He was coming out of the gate which is on a pretty big hill followed by an uphill which he totally got air on. He landed over his handle bars skidding his chest and face on the ground. A boy probably about 10 years old, stopped and helped him up and told him it was a pretty sweet crash. Kobe felt so big and pretty cool. The next day all he could talk about was how he needed to practise. He wanted me to set up a course for him at home, which turned out pretty lame- he hasn't asked me to set up one for him since.

His very first race night he did awesome! He qualified for the final race and took 5th place! He was so proud of his trophy and we were so proud of him. Kylee would even cheer, "Kobe, Kobe, Kobe!"
So Just to explain a little bit.... depending on how many kids in his division register for the race that day, that will determine how many Moto's (groups) there are racing. They have two heats and in those 2 heats you have to get either 1st or 2nd to qualify for the Main event or Final race.
Because Kobe is in the six year old age group Aaron can't help him at the gate. Learning to come out of the gate fast is one of the most important parts. Kobe has learned to sit there and balance on his bike without putting his foot down. When the announcer says, "riders ready", Kobe totally stands up on both peddles and flies out of the gate! He is always up front coming out of the gate! I wouldn't even be able to stand up on my peddles and balance. Wow buddy!
Kobe is the 3rd one from the far end. We'll try to get a better picture soon, but you get the idea.
Here is a video of his second week of racing. This is the race that put him into the finals. He's the one in front in the yellow shirt. I'm sad I never got the beginning when he comes out of the gate- I guess I need a better video of this too. Soon I promise!



I had no idea how much I would love going and watching him. We love seeing his excitment, we love cheering for him, and we love to see how much he learns and improves each time we go. Way to go Kobe!

2 comments:

The Bateman Family

It was SO fun watching him race!! He's a racing machine!! Obviously Bridger's not quite ready, seeing as he FELL ASLEEP before Kobe even raced!!

T. Driaza

This is flippin' awesome! How Cool! You know Pablo use to be BIG into BMXin' in Colombia. If I show him this, he'll totally want to sign Coey up! Way to go Kobe!